Round 19 - Joshua Hader: LHP, Old Mill Senior Hill (MD)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He a Red Sox fan?

Here's a kid I personally scouted this season. Hader has a crossfire left-handed delivery that can be deceptive. His fastball sits 84-87 and will touch 88-89 on occasion. He's tall and slender and there appears to more velocity in the arm. He throws a low-70s curveball that can be ok at times and an occasional solid slider in the mid-70s. He's need to mature into his body but he's got some nice upside. He's only signed to AA Community college although I know Maryland was considering him. He probably needs a year of JC and a bump in velocity to increase his value, but he could be a nice upside pick if the Orioles were able to sign him.

Here's a kid I personally scouted this season. Hader has a crossfire left-handed delivery that can be deceptive. His fastball sits 84-87 and will touch 88-89 on occasion. He's tall and slender and there appears to more velocity in the arm. He throws a low-70s curveball that can be ok at times and an occasional solid slider that in the mid-70s. He's need to mature into his body but he's got some nice upside. He's only signed to AA Community college although I know Maryland was considering him. He probably needs a year of JC and a bump in velocity to increase his value but he could be a nice upside pick if the Orioles were able to sign him.

Sounds like nice value for the pick.

Hader was 10-0, 0.39 ERA. 125 strikeouts in 72 2/3 innings. Only allowed 4 ER. Walked 21. Gave up 23 hits. Had 20 straight no-hit innings

.409 average, 4 HRs, 27 RBIs.

This seems to oppose the stats on the maxpreps link above, unless they are from last year?

Nice to see another MD kid drafted.

I played on that Old Mill team a couple dozen years ago. The quality of baseball has always been high. It's amazing that more Patriots haven't been drafted up to this point. Just goes to show how talented all levels of major league baseball are.

Here's a kid I personally scouted this season. Hader has a crossfire left-handed delivery that can be deceptive. His fastball sits 84-87 and will touch 88-89 on occasion. He's tall and slender and there appears to more velocity in the arm. He throws a low-70s curveball that can be ok at times and an occasional solid slider in the mid-70s. He's need to mature into his body but he's got some nice upside. He's only signed to AA Community college although I know Maryland was considering him. He probably needs a year of JC and a bump in velocity to increase his value, but he could be a nice upside pick if the Orioles were able to sign him.

Does draft and follow still exist for CC/JC guys or did they get rid of that in the last CBA? Can't recall.

Archived